Originally published August 12, 2017 at 02:51a.m., updated August 12, 2017 at 02:51a.m.
HAVANA -- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Friday that U.S. diplomats in Havana were the victims of "health attacks" that left them with hearing loss -- the most definitive U.S. statement yet on a series of incidents that have puzzled analysts of U.S.-Cuban relations.
Tillerson's comments came two days after the State Department issued a vague statement saying there had been "incidents which have caused a variety of physical symptoms." U.S. officials later revealed that American diplomats had suffered unexplained losses of hearing, and on Thursday Canada's government said at least one Canadian diplomat in Cuba also had been treated for hearing loss.
"We hold the Cuban authorities responsible for finding out who is carrying out these health attacks on not just our diplomats but, as you've seen now, there are other cases with other diplomats involved," Tillerson said in Bedminster, N.J., where President Donald Trump and members of his administration spoke to reporters.
In the fall of 2016, several U.S. diplomats began suffering unexplained losses of hearing, according to officials with knowledge of the case. Some of the diplomats' symptoms were so severe that they were forced to cancel their tours early and return to the United States, the officials said.
The officials said the hearing loss appeared to have been caused by the deliberate use of some sort of sonic device operating outside the range of audible sound.
Former diplomats and students of U.S.-Cuba relations said they found it inexplicable that Cuba would have tried to harm U.S. and Canadian diplomats, particularly last fall, when President Barack Obama was ending a second term marked partly by the reopening of diplomatic relations with the island.
U.S. officials familiar with the incidents said they began to be reported in October, when most domestic and foreign observers expected Hillary Clinton to win the presidency and continue Obama's policy of normalization with Cuba.
Attacking Canadian diplomats would be an inexplicable assault on one of Cuba's most important trading partners and the largest source of tourists to the island, analysts said.
"There'd be no logic to the Cubans trying to deliberately harm U.S. or Canadian diplomats," said William LeoGrande, an American University expert on Cuban foreign policy. "It'd really be unprecedented."
The Cuban government said in a statement Wednesday that "Cuba has never permitted, nor will permit, that Cuban territory be used for any action against accredited diplomatic officials or their families, with no exception."
Former U.S. and Canadian diplomats said they had been targets of low-level harassment and intimidation by Cuban agents in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s, incidents that included attacks on diplomats' pets and intimidating maneuvers such as tailgating and flashing bright lights into diplomats' cars as they drove with their families late at night.
In addition to harassment, said John Caulfield, the head of the U.S. Interests Section in Cuba from 2011 to 2014, U.S. diplomats in Cuba are under 24-hour surveillance during their assignments.
"Nobody does anything in Cuba without them knowing," Caulfield said.
Caulfield said the aggressive tactics largely stopped by late 2013 and 2014 as U.S. and Cuban officials secretly negotiated the diplomatic reopening announced in December 2014, after his departure from Havana.
He said he believed that the likeliest explanation for the diplomats' mysterious deafness was "a new surveillance technique gone bad that had consequences. I do not believe they would randomly cause harm to this variety of people."
A former Canadian ambassador to Cuba, James Bartleman, said that during his 1981-83 tour in Havana, he and his staff were targets of a string of mysterious attacks, such as when his deputy's dog was poisoned and died as a result.
Bartleman said he complained to the then-head of the Americas section of Cuba's Foreign Ministry, whom he quoted as saying, "Someone is trying to harm Canada-Cuba relations."
He said the Cuban government sent a veterinarian to care for the dog, but the deputy sent his dog back to Canada, where it died six months later.
"We were their bosom buddies back then," Bartleman said of Canadian-Cuban relations. "We were their largest trading partner and always their largest provider of tourists. Why would they do it? It made no sense then and makes no sense now."
Information for this article was contributed by Michael Weissenstein, Matthew Lee and Rob Gillies of The Associated Press.
A Section on 08/12/2017
Get 24/7 Access. Subscribe Now.
ACCESS. ANYTIME. ANYWHERE.
We hope you've enjoyed your preview of ArkansasOnline.com.
You've now read the maximum number of stories available without a subscription.
Subscribe now for complete and uninterrupted access to the best local, state and national news.