Photographs by Andy Shupe
Arkansas coach Chad Morris directs his players Thursday, Aug. 9, 2018, during practice at the university's practice facility in Fayetteville.
Thursday, August 9, 2018
– Morris said he felt the team tapered off a little bit at the midway point of practice. He said he's talked about creating toughness with the team. "Some guys are giving it out there, and I'm excited about the guys that are pushing."
– Connor Noland got some reps with the 1s and John Stephen Jones was with the 2s. They both did a good job, Morris said.
– Consistency is what he's looking for out of the quarterbacks in Saturday's scrimmage. There's a possibility someone could separate himself in that.
– Morris kept Randy Ramsey out today and was cautious with him. It's a hamstring deal and doesn't appear to be too serious. He's been presenting a problem for the tackles on the edge.
– Dre Greenlaw and Scoota Harris have stood out in the live work, and Hayden Henry, too. He's always around the ball, Morris said. Dee Walker was in the training room. Grant Morgan is another guy Morris is happy with. Ryan Pulley has a great mindset about him right now. D'Vone McClure "keeps showing up." Michael Taylor is also flashing, he said.
– Hjalte is looking good at center. Today was better than yesterday with the transition there. He got more reps there today. Moving him there is going to help the team out right now. Footwork was better and timing on snaps was crisper.
– Morris: We have a great running back in terms of everyone pushing each other. Morris mentioned Maleek Williams by name, too. Rakeem today felt he probably hit a wall, but he's going to be a fantastic player for us.
– It's fun to watch guys like La'Michael Pettway and Jordan Jones and see how they're pushing each other. Jordan Jones is standing out in camp. He's heard him talk more in the last few days than he's ever heard him talk.
– Cheyenne O'Grady is getting better. He's had three straight days of good work. Grayson Gunter is playing multiple roles. The tight end room and running back room push each other. The depth is there.
– Armon Watts is getting a fresh start. How you work after that is up to you. Morris wants to see how he works in the scrimmage on Saturday.
– Joe Foucha is a guy that "can hands down help us." Ladarrius Bishop is another young guy that can help the team. Noah Gatlin is getting some valuable time with others on the offensive line being down. Morris has been proud of the older guys bringing the young ones along. Isaiah Nichols has a lot of fight in him. He's a good one who will have a good career here, Morris said.
– You're going to see Sosa at tackle some and at end some. Morris said he hopes to get Briston Guidry back next week. Nichols, TJ Smith, Jonathan Marshall, Sosa, Watts all at tackle, it's all about finding fits.
ArkansasOnline.com for only
$0.99 for the first month.