Login

ADVERTISEMENT

Music festival organizers didn't meet conditions to rent downtown Little Rock venue, official says

6:10 P.M. FRIDAY UPDATE:

A day after a music festival scheduled to be hosted in Little Rock announced its venue, a spokeswoman for the space said the organizers did not meet the conditions to rent it.

Rebecca Tennille of the Clinton Presidential Center said Friday that the Fulcrum's organizers did not meet the terms of the contract to rent the venue, so the event will not be taking place on the library's grounds. No further details were released at that time.

As of 6 p.m. Friday, the festival's Facebook post announcing the center as its venue had not been taken down or amended. The event is reportedly scheduled for March 17.

THURSDAY STORY:

A new music festival scheduled to be held in downtown Little Rock in just more than two months has named its venue but not yet announced the main act.

The Fulcrum is planned March 17 on the grounds of the Clinton Presidential Center, according to a Thursday news release from the event's management.

In December, organizer Susan Erwin Prowse shared the names of 18 artists she said have committed to perform on the festival's two stages.

Most performers in the lineup have Arkansas roots, including country singer Barrett Baber, rapper Ueno Rhymes and gospel artist Crissy P. Most acts indicated online that they plan to perform.

Prowse said at the time that the festival's mission is to provide a platform for local and regional acts to be discovered but that the main headliner will be "strategically" announced after Jan. 1.

As of Thursday afternoon, no headliner had been named. The website referred to the 18 artists as the "first round" of acts.

The festival's website previously displayed photos of Migos, SZA, The Roots, Jessie J, Lil Uzi Vert and Kelly Clarkson. Those artists were said to be the top-voted performers in an online poll the organizers had earlier posted.

"We took the top artists from the poll, and we are securing those acts currently," Prowse said in December.

Rebecca Tennille, a spokeswoman for the Clinton Presidential Center, confirmed the group had rented the space.

She said she could not comment on how likely it was that the event would happen as advertised, but she said the Clinton Center rents to lots of groups and also hosted part of Riverfest. Tennille said she imagined it would be "apples to apples" comparing how the two festivals would play out in the space.

Riverfest, the long-running Little Rock music festival that was shuttered in July, used the presidential library's grounds as well as the amphitheater at Riverfront Park. The Fulcrum's organizers had tentatively booked that stage but released their hold in December, according to Phyllis Lucas, senior director of event operations for the Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Cliff Aaron, another Fulcrum organizer, previously said the festival would distinguish itself from Riverfest by creating a fan-driven event for ages 18 and up.

The team also at one point negotiated with representatives from War Memorial Stadium.

Tickets can be purchased on the event's website. Prices range from about $100 to more than $300.


Comments

DoubleBlind says...

This stinks to high heaven of AT BEST wishful thinking on the part of organizers and AT WORST fraud. Anyone buying tickets/exchanging actual money for tickets had better be prepared to kiss that money goodbye.

Posted 11 January 2018, 4:43 p.m. Suggest removal

RBBrittain says...

That's your opinion, DoubleBlind; at least they have enough money to rent a suitable venue. You may not like some of the confirmed acts and/or potential headliners, but that doesn't mean other people don't like them enough to buy tickets and make the event happen.

Posted 11 January 2018, 6:47 p.m. Suggest removal

TravisBickle says...

Because they don't have a headliner. Sounds like a Ponzi scheme.

Posted 12 January 2018, 3:29 p.m. Suggest removal

TravisBickle says...

They obviously can't afford the amphitheater so that means they're trying to do this on a shoestring. Anybody remember the Frye Festival fiasco from last summer?? Dude was charged with wire fraud.

Posted 13 January 2018, 10:26 a.m. Suggest removal

RBBrittain says...

First, this ain't the Fyre Festival; no one is promising even the cheap sandwiches the Fyre Festival actually produced, much less the gourmet meals they promised. Second, even IF it's fraudulent it CANNOT meet the definition of a Ponzi scheme, because it is NOT paying fraudulent gains to earlier investors out of later investors' principal (as both Charles Ponzi and Bernie Madoff did). And no, they have NOT promised a headliner YET; I'm skeptical as to whether or not they'll actually get one too (they'll be lucky to get Migos & Lil Uzi Vert, maybe even SZA -- yes I'd rather see Kelly Clarkson or The Roots but that ain't gonna happen), but calling it "fraud" just because they didn't get the headliners they (or you) wanted is a bit too harsh.

Posted 13 January 2018, 11:36 a.m. Suggest removal

TravisBickle says...

It ain't??!! WHO CARES??!! It's still fraud, cheap cheese sandwiches or not. In fact they're mentioning some of the same acts that were supposed to be at Frye fest.

Posted 13 January 2018, 12:51 p.m. Suggest removal

gagewatcher says...

why buy a ticket until you know who, what, when and where ?

Posted 13 January 2018, 6:15 p.m. Suggest removal

Log in to comment